Please review these resources for organizing actions as safely and as effectively as possible in the midst of this pandemic and in the face of increasing state repression. This page will be updated frequently.
We have compiled these resources so that they can help guide your planning, contact us if you have other resources that we should post here.
As we are advocating for diversity of tactics, we want to emphasize that mass scale actions with large numbers isn’t necessarily the goal. Sometimes targeted actions lead by small affinity groups can be that much more effective. We have resources for both above ground actions (marches, rallies, etc) and what would be considered more below ground actions.
Action Tips During a Pandemic:
- If you’re immunocompromised communicate this with your affinity group and determine your role carefully.
- Organize your action in as much open space as possible.
- Limit time of action if large crowds are expected.
- Practice physical distancing.
- Wear a mask, gloves, and goggles. How can you optically integrate them into your action?
- Bring hand sanitizer and use it regularly.
- If you’re arrested try to physical distance and move to any open space as much as possible. Research the local practices of jails in your area.
- Do not participate in actions if you live with or are caring for people who are at a high risk of getting seriously ill from the coronavirus.
With increased surveillance and repression by the settler colonial state, we urge everyone to study what security culture is. We also recommend at the minimum having any Facebook events with guests lists set to private and not tagging yourself in any videos or pictures of potentially illicit actions.
We also discourage livestreams, filming or picture taking of people at actions overall.
- What is Security Culture?
- A Proposal for a Robust Security Culture
- Surveillance Self-Defense: Attending Protests in the Age of COVID-19
- Security and Counter-Surveillance
- Obscuracam is a photo and video app for Android that keeps certain information private: www.guardianproject.info/apps/obscuracam/
An affinity group is a small group of 5 to 20 people who work together autonomously on direct actions or other projects. Affinity groups generally consists of like minded people who come together to get something done. They collectively establish their own goals, structure and group culture. If you are on your way to a major direct action protest, forming an affinity group is one of the best ways to be effective and accomplish amazingly beautiful acts of resistance that are beyond the capability of individuals.
A black bloc is a tactic used by protesters who wear black clothing, masks, scarves, sunglasses, etc. The clothing is used to conceal wearers’ identities and make it difficult to distinguish between participants.
Direct action means that instead of getting someone else to act for you (e.g. a politician, institution etc), you act for yourself. Direct action encompasses a range of acts to achieve political or social goals.
Direct actions can be above ground (mostly legal or in the realm of civil disobedience) or underground. Be smart and plan!
- Defend the Territory
- Direct Action Survival Guide
- Basic Blockading
- A Manual For Urban Projection
- Ecodefense: A-Field-Guide-to-Monkeywrenching
Know their Laws (Your Rights)
Although it is not guaranteed, but understanding their laws (your “rights”) can help keep us stay safe in the streets or at any action.
It’s also helpful to research and understand the arrest process to demystify it (for those who haven’t been arrested) to build confidence in our actions. We’re also providing some info on jail support because an action doesn’t end if people are arrested, it ends when all our people are free.
Check out the ‘zines at Sprout Distro and these powerful reads: